Monday, March 1, 2010

Kitchen Adventures: Brownie Alternatives

I have a SERIOUS sweet tooth so I am always on the look-out for "healthier" substitutions for my favorite indulgences....like brownies...yum!

(And heck, with all this running, THIS girl and THESE muscles are in need of some extra carbs!)

I stumbled upon this interesting recipe from one of my favorite magazines Clean Eating.




The recipe is for Black Bean Fudge Cakes (sounds like a brownie) and thought I would give it a try. FYI: Instead of any type of flour (Gluten-Free) you use black beans (hello, extra fiber!)

I know what you are thinking....legumes and dessert do not mix...

Now, now, let's not be quick to judge, lets give it a fair chance...

Ingredients:
Olive Oil Cooking Spray
1oz dark organic chocolate ( 70% coca or greater)
1.5 cups of soft-cooked black beans, canned, rinsed and drained
2 eggs
1 egg white
2 tbsp EVOO
1 tsp baking powder
1tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup (heaping) unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 unsweetened applesauce
1/2 raw organic honey
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup unsalted, chopped walnuts ( if desired)

Directions:
1)Pre-heat oven to 350%. Mist 8x8 pan with cooking spray.

2) Melt dark chocolate in saucepan ( low heat) with 1 tbsp water mixed in.

3) Combine eggs, egg white, oil, cocoa powder, baking powder, vanilla, applesauce, honey and beans in food processor; blend until smooth. Stir in walnuts.

4) Pour into baking dish. Bake until top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides...about 30 minutes.

Results:

Look like brownies, smell like brownies....but DO NOT taste remotely like brownies....which could be "ok" for some. I think with some modifications these could be quite tasty. I can't put my finger on exactly what they need...more dark chocolate? plus I can still taste beans...and I think I miss the airy, cakey texture that flour provides...

Solution: I need a recipe do-over!!! I found another black bean brownie recipe (healthy still, but has whole wheat flour) and will report back on how they turn out...

Feeling adventurous? Try them out and let me know what you think.... Post your comments!

Not feeling so adventurous? Stick to one of my most FAV, brownie substitutes "No Pudge Fudge Brownies." This tasty mix is so dang delicious even Trader Joes is stealing their idea...


Happy Baking!

~Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment