Tuesday, March 30, 2010

What is YOUR running style: Solo Mission, Partner in Crime or Group Shenanigans?

Running with a Buddy:
When I first "really" started running I always ran with someone else. Having a partner or buddy seems to make time go by faster, you are forced to run at a steady pace and there is always safety in numbers. Running with a partner can motivate you, can get you out the door when you don't feel like it and can give you someone to talk to on the run.

Running Alone:
Once my favorite training partner began to start a family (I miss you Cynthia!), my runs became more and more a series of solo missions. Running alone has its pros and cons too. Pros: you don't have to talk if you don't want to, you can rock out to your Ipod, you run anytime that works for your schedule. Cons: I sometimes feel less safe, its easier to slack off or even talk yourself out of going all together.

Running with a Group:
As you already know I am training with the American Heart Association "Start Training LA!" group. They give us workouts to complete during the week on our own and then we do our long runs together in Griffith Park. I have met some great people and a few ladies who are about the same pace as me, so we keep each other entertained during our long runs. Its great!

I have also been running with some girls from work on and off for about two years now. What a great way to break up a long work day! And my boss is so great she doesn't care if we are sweaty for the rest of the afternoon and we can walk around in our gym clothes ( hey we are the health dept after all, shouldn't we be practicing what we preach?!?!) These wonderful ladies run at a faster pace than I would naturally run, so its nice to challenge myself and vary my tempo every now and then. And the best benefit: when I get home after my commute....I can kick back and relax since I have already done my workout!

Leaving a note and prepping for a lunch break run

Last month I also joined ANOTHER running group that one of my fellow marathon training gals told me about...The Runner's Circle. Its a small, but mighty running store in the LA Loz Feliz area. Its a few miles from work, so every Thursday night I head up the road and join them for their weekly FUN runs. (Another great way to get my workout in before I even get home!) What a great group! Ironman triathletes, marathoners, you name it....they are so inspirational and super welcoming. They do a great pre-run stretch session, provide snacks and do great giveaways EVERY week.

If you are in the area, check them out: http://arunnerscircle.com/

Me winning a t-shirt at the Runner's Circle!


I guess each style has a time and a place and I have enjoyed them all!

Do you run alone, with a buddy or in a group? Whats your preference? Post your comments!

Happy Running!
Love,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment