Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Gear Up!

People think all you need is a "good pair of shoes" and you can head out the door and be a runner....

Au contraire, mon freres....

Shoes are only the beginning...being a runner means you have a CLOSET full of gear....

Let's review, shall we....

1) Shoes: Yes, very important, but not just any shoes...they need to be running shoes. Always go to a reputable "running store" to be fitted for your shoes. Most places have you run on a treadmill or perform a "gait analysis" so they can select the best shoe for your foot and running form. A MUST DO!

My new shoes.....I heart Saucony!

2) Clothes: Sometimes an old cotton t-shirt is just fine for a short walk, jog or run. If you are getting into higher mileage, I recommend you invest in some "moisture-wicking" clothes (pants, t-shirts, tank tops and sports bras...ladies--trust me on this one!) You will be less likely to chafe (not fun!) and you will feel more comfortable even when sweating buckets...like I tend to do!

3) Speaking of chaffing....Body Glide....get it, use it, love it.. Its like lube for your body. On long runs or hot days when I will sweat a lot (and be prone to more wet clothes/chaffing). I use it on my side (wear my arms pump), around my ankles, and anywhere else you feel the need.



4) Socks: NO COTTON...I repeat...NO COTTON SOCKS! You need a double-layer synthetic sock. I have never got blisters since I switched. And they seem to keep your feet drier...see, I told you I am a sweat-er! Any running store can point you in the right direction.


5) Ipod: As mentioned in a previous post....my most-needed running companion. I enjoy the company of a good friend ( Cynthia: I miss you!) but Britney, Mariah and Lady Gaga can make for some interesting running partners... Word to the wise: Keep the volume at a reasonable level, so you can hear cars, bikes and other runners along your path.


6) Fuel belt: HOLY HYDRATION!
About the sweating thing....you need to replace your lost fluids. And not JUST H20, you need electrolytes. Try one of the fuel belts for longer runs. It feels crazy strange bouncing around on your hips at first, but 8 miles later you'll be glad you have your Gatorade close by. Another bonus: the extra pocket can hold your keys, copies of your ID and Insurance Card ( safety first, people!) and snacks!


6) Safety suspenders: If you run in the dark you really NEED to wear reflective gear. Cars don't pay attention to you and you might not be paying too much attention if you are busting a running move to the latest Timbaland jam on your Ipod. Better to be safe, than sexy...I mean sorry :)


7) Heart Rate Monitor: I love this gadget. Like a watch, but better! A great way to track your time, calories burned, splits/lap times, etc. You'll make sure you are running hard enough, but not SO hard your heart is about to explode.

Check out Polar Fitness (my fav!): http://www.polarusa.com/us-en


Holler at your girl: Am I missing anything?....tell me about your MUST HAVE gear....

~Lauren

2 comments:

  1. A Garmin watch!!!Its fun to run without it every once in a while, but its my absolute must have on a run... tracks your pace, distance, intervals and HR. It ROCKS! Changed my training completely...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very complete! You should make your own running magizine! I just wanted to say that I heart sauconies, too, and I just bought those same shoes. Sistas forever :)

    ReplyDelete