Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Hunger Pangs

Lately I have been hungry.... constantly....like REALLY hungry, like tummy growling, nauseous, about to eat my left arm hungry.... as the experts tell me, this is to be expected when training like this...
But with my busy schedule, a typical work days look like this:
  • Wake up
  • Commute to work- eat breakfast on commute
  • Work
  • Eat snack
  • Work
  • Eat lunch
  • Work
  • Commute home- eat snack on commute
  • Run or Gym
  • Eat dinner
  • Sleep

Rinse and repeat. (Mondays and Fridays are typically my days OFF from training)

Balancing healthy eating AND eating at the right times (before or after a run) can be a challenge...There are so many factors to consider:

How long before I start running?
This seems especially important for after-work runs...I have to factor in time from my commute as well as when I will eat dinner... Running with a full belly is bad and running on no fuel is also bad...

How long will I be running?
Only 30-45 minutes: a 200 calorie/small nibble should do...
1 Hour + ( the long runs, with my training group) : I will definitely need my fuel belt--packed with water and Gatorade. In addition to a good, carb packed breakfast, I might need a snack- fig newtons, Cliff shock blocks, etc. I have been finding on my long runs, after about 4 miles....45 minutes into the run...I am getting hungry. This is not good.

When will I have time to eat after I run? or How long after my run is my next meal?
If I finish a run and have dinner plans in 3 hours, I need to eat something small--usually a small protein shake. If I am on my own, on a regular week night, I make sure my next meal is a good protein/carb combo.

And the obvious...do I really want to replace all those calories I just burned...if I am trying to loose a few unwanted pounds....?
Unmanaged hunger leads to OVER-eating, as does not eating ENOUGH. Its a tough balance to find. When I find myself extra hungry I am "trying" to eat more fruits, veggies and lean proteins...things that shouldn't lead to excess pounds...


Here are a few of my favorite post-run snacks (not meals):
-Trader Joes Organic Greek Yogurt (Vanilla) with some trail mix or fruit mixed in
-Ezekiel bread and Peanut butter ( timeless, classic!)
-A serving of Gatorade with a scoop of protein powder.
-Apple and string cheese

What are YOUR nutritional dilemmas? Fav snacks? Share, please! :)

Happy Running...and eating! :)
~Lauren

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE having chocolate milk! It seems like such a reward and a treat because I never have it otherwise! and I'm with you on the long runs (or bike rides): I need real food like fig newtons or real jelly bellys. I can't do gu gels or any of the fake energy stuff. During long training rides for the STP (Seattle-to-Portland charity ride) I used to eat Snickers and my friends would just make fun of me, but whatever works, right?!! I love checking in with your updates, Lauren, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete