Friday, February 12, 2010

Kitchen Adventures: Kale

With all this running, it seems silly to throw all my hard work away by shoveling garbage in my mouth. Overall I would say I eat pretty decent and healthy, compared to most, but not always...

Living a "healthy lifestyle" is often compared to running a marathon. You can't sprint, you can do to much too soon, you have to try new things, new strategies, to keep you on track. I think people often try to overhaul their diets 100%, all at once, and inevitably fail because the changes are so drastic and cannot be maintained. A diet has an end date. A lifestyle is forever.

Plain and simple: I am trying to be more adventurous with my healthy lifestyle (so as not to get bored). Not adventurous like deep-fried twinkie. Adventurous like trying new foods from Trader Joes.

So in honor of trying new things, I have decided to give kale a chance. I have read a lot about kale these days, every one seems to be eating it---its in all my health magazines and the other blogs I read. It wasn't until I read about "kale chips" that I got really excited.

(Some people are like, WTF is Kale? )

This is Kale:

It's a dark, leafy green. Kale is high in fiber, Vitamins K, A, and C and even Calcium. (Pretty cheap too! This BIG bundle costs $1.99 and made a GRIP of chips)

These are tasty little morsels and healthy as all get out! They taste like potato chips--without the guilt!

Try them and let me know what you think.

RECIPE:
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees
-Rinse and dry Kale
-Pull leaves from stems and spread on cookie sheet.
-Drizzle with EVOO ( about 1tsp) and sprinkle with some Kosher salt
(you can also experiment with other seasonings or even some Parmesan cheese, yum!)
-Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until edges are little brown

Here are some photos of my adventure:
Rinsing the leaves (Are you loving my pineapple colander, or what!)

Getting ready to bake

Ready to eat! Oh! and PS: Dip them in ketchup...FANTASTIC! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment