Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dedicating the Miles... #1

One of the MANY techniques people talk about when training for a marathon is to dedicate each of the 26.2 miles to someone. The thinking behind this is when you are in the marathon, struggling ( because, inevitably, there will be struggling) you can mentally call on all of the special people in your life--who support you and those you are thankful for.

So in the next 17 weeks leading up to the marathon, I am going to come up with a list of 26.2 people ( the .2 will be reserved for a short person or someone under the age of 5) I will throw them out here in no particular order and before my race I will make my final order.

There aren’t enough miles in a marathon to recognize everyone, so with that said, I’m dedicating a few miles of my race to special “groups,” so that I may umbrella everyone in! :)

Please note: I suggest you be nice to me over these next 17-weeks, otherwise I may drop you in the mile 20 spot--which I hear is a "difficult" spot in the race--- :) ha ha ha

DEDICATION #1 : BEMA



It only makes sense to dedicate at least one of my miles to the person who I am training in honor of, my grandma : Bema.

My Bema is my mom's mom. She lived in Thousand Oaks, very close by, so we were very close my whole life. She passed away a little over three years ago after complications from her stroke. I remember looking forward to weekends at Bema's. She would spoil us with donuts every morning and all the Happy Meals and soda we wanted ( ironic, huh?). We would build forts in the back room. Pick tangerines from the tree in the backyard. And hide from the creepy, human-like, doll in the spare room ( sister and cousins, you know what I am talking about!!!) Family gatherings were always filled with loud laughter, storytelling, food and alcohol ( hey we are a big Irish family, what do you expect?) Good times. I miss those times.



Another pic....this one is me as a tiny (but very chunky) baby munchkin and my Bema and Bepa

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of dedicating each mile to a certain person or group! And yes, mile 20 is a tough spot. That's when I told myself that I was done with this whole "marathon thing". But mile 22 was when I became delirious and lost all forms of rational thought other than "must finish, must finish"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!!! I love it : ) You can do it woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That doll was SUPER creepy...

    Wow, do I miss the good times :) Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete