Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sleep


So....life has been very busy lately...it picked up so fast, I don't think I really realized it. I am so used to running (no pun intended) on little sleep, tons of meetings and tons of social events on the weekends (not to mention that little race I am training for), that I realized I have not been resting all too much....or as much as I should be.

Now that I am training so much and with such duration and intensity....my body needs more sleep now, more than ever! I know this intuitively, and I know this as a health educator/ health- knowledgeable type of gal.

What made me realize this?

Well my left eyelid has been twitching now for 6 days straight....will I die? NO probably not....is it hella annoying? YES (and I use the word hella to emphasize just how annoying it has been)

After doing what any other overly-worried hypochondriac rational gal would do...I headed to the Internet to self-diagnose....

Enter Mayo Clinic, a reputable source of medical information....here is the list of causes of eye-twitching....

-Alcohol---yes, ok I had some vodka this weekend, but that was after the twitching began
-Caffeine---yes, i have been an addict since high school, long before the twitching
-Fatigue---yes, hello?!?! did i mention i am training for a marathon
-Irritation of the eye surface or inner eyelids--kind of and many times in the past
-Lack of sleep--- HHHHHHHMMMMMM......yes....
-Physical exertion---yes, see answer to fatigue
-Smoking--no, never
-Stress---um, hello....!!!! :) But all joking aside, not MORE than normal


So I succumbed and called the advice nurse... who seemed to be worried it has been lasting for a week.

I proceeded to Kaiser. I was out of there in 5 min ( weighing me and taking my blood pressure took longer than my "appt"). The doctors brilliant diagnosis: yes, your eye is twitching. Solution: Get more sleep. I left pissed thinking, yes I know I should, but how....

Unless I magically turn into Evie from my one of my favorite old shows "Out of the World" and can suddenly freeze time...I will have to TRY to get more sleep....

Would you like to swing on a star.... Carry moonbeams home in a jar... And be better off than you are..... Or would you rather go to earth

Happy Running and Resting! :)

~Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment