Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A week without a microwave...



A week without a microwave will really make you re-evaluate your nutrition...

In the hulla-ba-loo of moving we were without a microwave for about a week. Sadly, you don't really realize how much you depend on a microwave until you don't have one.

At first I was frustrated at not having one...then I was just disturbed by how much I felt I needed one.

On most week nights I moonlight as a single gal, while my guy is at work. "Cooking" for one usually consists of heating up some yummy frozen concoction from Trader Joe's, coupled with some salad greens...healthy enough...but requires the microwave.

Deep inside of me there is this girl who wants to beak free of ALL processed food and live this life full of fresh, raw, not chemically mutilated food....but dang, it is hard to do.

(A side note: My "processed" food from Trader Joe's I know is much healthier than say processed food from my old pals Ronald and the Hamburgler or say my college days of Hot Pockets....but it still has added "stuff" that I could probably use less of in my diet...like sodium, sugar, preservatives, food dyes....)

Back to my argument...

Processed food is cheap. Processed food is fast.

The 21st century lifestyle is a lifestyle of convenience....gadgets and gizmo's promising to make our lives easier, but really I feel like they are making us sicker...aka: less healthy....

Enter the microwave.

Now, I will not be throwing away my brand new microwave...don't worry I have not gone all "crazy hippy" on you... but it made me want to re-evaluate the food I put in my mouth and the stuff we call food we put in our bodies. Its nice to take some time and reflect on this, from time to time.

I am striving to eat more fresh foods, more REAL ingredients (minimally processed)...and actually cook ( not "nuke") more...and perhaps share a few delicious recipes along the way...

Happy running...and cooking!
~Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment